The Pharmaceutical Society of Kenya (PSK) is a representative organization that was formed to enable Pharmacists' employ their professional expertise in the care of patients.
Established in 1964, PSK has its roots in the Pharmaceutical Society of East Africa, which was registered in 1950. Since its formation, PSK continues to promote a common standard for professional conduct and code of ethics for its members, as well as advocate the welfare Pharmacists.
PSK's main objectives are:
- To advance the practice of Pharmacy
- To create and maintain a standard for professional conduct and code ethics
- To foster a high standard of control over the quality and distribution of medicines and other pharmaceutical products.
- To promote the role of Pharmacists as integral members of the healthcare team to ensure rational drug use
- To facilitate information exchange between PSK members, other healthcare professionals, consumers, pharmaceutical and allied industries.
PSK was established due to the need to enhance the quality of Pharmacy practice and keep members up-to-date with changes in Pharmacy practice, the law relating to Pharmacy and the latest technology applicable to Pharmacy.
PSK employs all-inclusive approaches in pursuit of its goals. Devoted to the provision of effective and efficient healthcare services, PSK lays great emphasis on professionalism and adherence to the code of ethics as well as to pharmacy and other relevant laws.
PSK also advocates for, encourages and participates in the:
- Formulation of appropriate, and review of, existing pharmaceutical policies
- Implementation of pharmaceutical policies through appropriate review of existing pharmacy regulations and laws with the aim of protecting public interest.
Pharmacists play a vital role in fostering the provision of holistic quality health care. PSK helps its members achieve this through providing opportunities for life-long learning and participation in a range of health promoting programs as well as national and international conferences.
Remaining relevant to the professional needs of the ever-changing profession of Pharmacy is paramount to meeting the health needs of the public. PSK members keep themselves up-to date with changes in Pharmacy practice through the Society’s Continuing Professional Development (CPD) scheme and the Pharmaceutical Journal of Kenya published by the PSK.
PSK, through its Code of ethics and Standards for Pharmacy Practice guides its members to comply with the ethical and professional standards, thus enhancing its credibility . Being the most easily accessible healthcare providers, Pharmacists play an invaluable role in the nation’s heath.
PSK commits itself to play an even greater public health role in the promotive and preventive approaches to health in keeping with emphasis of Vision 2030, and seeks to contribute to the realization of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
The society works in partnership with relevant government organs, other health professional organizations and development partners on a series of public health campaigns aimed at educating the public on health issues.